Samsung has confirmed exactly which of its devices will probably be receiving “three generations” of Android updates, after announcing the initiative at its Note 20 launch event earlier this month. As anticipated, the checklist consists of flagship telephones going again to final yr’s Galaxy S10, however there are additionally a pair of new inclusions from Samsung’s foldable and pill ranges.
In the previous, Samsung usually promised two years of updates, however now its telephones could possibly be supported for as many as three, relying upon how the firm defines “generations.” For instance, Samsung says its Galaxy S20 telephones will obtain “three OS upgrades starting with Android 11,” which means that until Android’s naming or launch schedule adjustments the telephones ought to go on to obtain Android 12 in 2021, and Android 13 in 2022. Extending help for Android updates is essential for house owners who are keeping their devices longer.
Here’s Samsung’s full checklist of three-generation devices, which incorporates its flagship S and Note-series telephones, foldables, Galaxy Tab tablets, and mid-range Galaxy A-series telephones that far outsell its flagships:
- Galaxy S sequence: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 along with S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S sequence devices
- Galaxy Note sequence: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note sequence devices
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z sequence devices
- Galaxy A sequence: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and choose upcoming A sequence devices
- Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S sequence devices
Beyond these telephones, Samsung says it’s “committed to providing the latest Android OS upgrades until the hardware specifications allow.” It additionally cautions that improve availability might differ by market.
It’s value noting, nevertheless, that even when a cellphone is assured to get three generations of Android updates this doesn’t say something about how rapidly it can obtain them after their official launch. Samsung says that the Galaxy S20 lineup will probably be the first Galaxy devices to be up to date to Android 11 “later this year.” Delayed OS updates aren’t an issue that’s unique to Samsung, nevertheless, and typically the state of affairs is enhancing across the Android ecosystem.