It’s not time to panic but, and if the Patriots get David Andrews and Shaq Mason again quickly, the offense ought to enhance. But Newton wants extra receivers who can win one-on-one at the line of scrimmage. It can be good if this crew might add a decent finish or receiver at the Nov. three commerce deadline.
▪ Where had been Edelman and Harry? Edelman had two catches on six targets for eight yards, and his solely actual affect got here on two completions for 38 yards in the fourth quarter. This is the third week in a row Edelman has been held to three or fewer catches and fewer than 40 yards. Defenses are determining that for those who take Edelman out of the sport, the Patriots don’t have a lot else on offense. McDaniels wants to discover methods to get Edelman the ball.
And Harry had no catches on simply two targets. Since his promising sport in Seattle, Harry has simply 5 catches for 55 yards in three video games.
▪ Not training a lot over the previous two weeks isn’t an excuse for the Patriots. The Titans didn’t follow a lot, both, and so they laid a beating on the Bills final week and received Sunday. The Patriots appeared rusty on offense, and the run protection was sloppy. Add in three turnovers, and this was not a sport to bear in mind for the Patriots. With two weeks to put together, I anticipated higher out of Bill Belichick and the teaching employees.
▪ It appeared unusual at the time, however I don’t disagree with Belichick’s determination to go for 2 when down by 9 factors, when an additional level might have made it a one-rating sport. When trailing by 15, you’re going to have to go for 2 at the very least as soon as. And for those who’re not going to convert it, it’s higher to do it with eight minutes left on the clock than one minute. The Patriots nonetheless had lots of time to make the comeback.
When requested if he thought-about difficult it, Belichick replied, “No, not really.”
But he didn’t clarify why. Belichick whiffed on that one.
▪ The Patriots have vital offensive line points, and so they could not enhance any time quickly. They had been taking part in with three rookies in the second half, and the solely starter in his regular spot was left deal with Isaiah Wynn. The Broncos obtained constant push and had been in Newton’s face all sport lengthy, and the Patriots’ operating backs mixed for simply 15 carries for 41 yards.
Even Joe Thuney and Wynn, the two veterans on the line, had powerful video games. Wynn allowed a sack and missed the block that led to a blocked move and interception in the first quarter. And Thuney made a wild snap that ruined a promising scoring drive in the first half.
▪ It didn’t help that Newton was holding onto the ball too lengthy, both. Of his 4 sacks, three in all probability belong to Newton and his penchant for staying too lengthy in the pocket. But it didn’t appear that anybody was getting open downfield.
And for a quarterback who stands 6 toes 5 inches, Newton positive will get lots of passes batted at the line of scrimmage.
▪ Kind of a cold and hot sport for the Patriots’ protection. They didn’t power a punt till 14 minutes remained in the fourth quarter. And they couldn’t get off the discipline, permitting drives of 5:54, 5:01 and 9:07 in the second and third quarters.
But for those who don’t permit a landing, and maintain the different crew to 18 factors and 299 yards, and power two turnovers, and hold the opponent out of the finish zone twice in the purple zone, that needs to be adequate to win. In truth, the Patriots had been 39-Zero underneath Belichick when holding the different crew out of the finish zone. The Patriots’ protection wasn’t the cause they misplaced, however they wanted to be nice, not simply good, to overcome a poor offensive efficiency.
▪ The Broncos clearly felt they might take benefit of their top at receiver towards the Patriots’ cornerbacks. Their complete passing sport was simply Drew Lock throwing a bunch of soar balls. Tim Patrick got here down with a couple of massive ones, together with a 35-yarder on third-and-21, and tight finish Albert Okwuegbunam had a pair of good grabs (although he additionally dropped two positive touchdowns).
But the Broncos couldn’t get in any actual rhythm in the passing sport, with Lock finishing 10-of-24 passes for simply 189 yards. And Lock’s dangerous throws lastly caught up with him, with J.C. Jackson and Jonathan Jones every arising with interceptions in the fourth quarter. Lock made a couple of massive throws, however he didn’t precisely win this sport.