Aleksandar Rakic had his fast rise within the UFC’s mild heavyweight division interrupted in December 2019, however now could discover himself proper again within the combine.
Rakic (13-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) labored over former title challenger Anthony Smith (33-16 MMA, 8-6 UFC) with leg kicks after they had been on the ft, then smothered him on the canvas en path to a unanimous decision sweep of the scorecards, together with a 30-26.
The mild heavyweight bout was the UFC on ESPN+ 33 foremost occasion on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on ESPN and streamed on ESPN+.
“I’m happy with my performance against a veteran and former title challenger,” Rakic mentioned after the battle. “Everybody underestimates my wrestling and my grappling. … The focus was a lot of pressure, make damage on the ground, (and) control.”
Rakic opened with heavy leg kicks, and Smith answered again. But Rakic’s had been tougher within the first minute, and extra plentiful. He continued to attempt to kick Smith’s legs out from underneath him, and 75 seconds in he obtained it completed.
— UFC (@ufc) August 30, 2020
Rakic drilled Smith with a kick that took him off his ft. Rakic went to the canvas with him and ate a couple of punches. When Smith threatened to take Rakic’s again on the ft Rakic dragged it again to the canvas and tried to go to work on high. At the top of the spherical, Smith went again to his nook with no limp – maybe shocking given the kicks he absorbed.
Rakic went proper after the lead leg kicks once more, then went to the physique. Just 20 seconds in, Smith landed a giant proper hand, however Rakic dragged him again down and saved him smothered and annoyed basically the entire spherical.
Rakic opened the third with a heavy kick, after which once more discovered himself put to the canvas. Smith couldn’t discover his means again to his ft, and with Rakic draped all over him needed to eat knees to the thighs, as effectively.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN+ 33 outcomes embrace:
- Aleksandar Rakic def. Anthony Smith by way of unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Neil Magny def. Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexa Grasso def. Ji Yeon Kim via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ricardo Lamas def. Bill Algeo via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Impa Kasanganay def. Maki Pitolo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Zak Cummings def. Alessio Di Chirico via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Alex Caceres def. Austin Springer via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:38
- Sean Brady def. Christian Aguilera via technical submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 1:47
- Polyana Viana def. Emily Whitmire via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:53
- Mallory Martin def. Hannah Cifers via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:33